A healthy Indiana needs healthy communities. And it needs health care professionals located in all areas of the state from the inner cities to the rural neighborhoods prepared to help educate citizens about health problems and issues and to provide quality service. The Metropolitan Indianapolis Central Indiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC) plays an important role in providing health care professionals prepared to meet the needs of these counties: Marion, Madison, Johnson, Hancock, Hendricks, Boone, Shelby, Morgan and Hamilton.
Our Health Careers Opportunities Program is now accepting applications for the College Prep Academy for 11th & 12th graders.
What we do
- Enhance the quality of and access to health care
- Improve health care outcomes
- Address health workforce needs of medically underserved communities and populations by establishing partnerships between the institutions that train health professionals and the communities that need them most
How we do it
- Introduce students and adult career seekers to various health care career options
- Develop opportunities for future health professionals to receive their clinical training in underserved areas
- Provide continuing education and professional support to health practitioners
- Recruit health professionals to serve in underserved communities
- Health Careers Promotion, Preparation & Diversity Pipeline: Increase representation of individuals from under-represented minority and disadvantaged rural and medically underserved backgrounds in health professions, particularly primary care.
- Community-Based Student Education and Clinical Training Programs: Improve the readiness, willingness, and ability of health professions trainees to serve in primary care, rural and medically-underserved community settings.
- Professional Education and Support and Continuing Education Programs: Increase health professionals’ access to training resources that support practice, reduce professional isolation, disseminate best practices, and improve quality of health care for medically underserved communities and health disparity populations.
MICI-AHEC is located in the Ruth Lilly Center for Health and Fitness on the campus of the University of Indianapolis. You can reach us at 317-788-2001.